Tuesday, November 23, 2010

bLog Entry 4.3: Cat # 6

Many Devices today can affect our way of thinking. Everything from electronics is made easy for us to use. Texting, browsing the web and television has been very affective kind of like an addiction to us. I believe Google is one website that a lot of us use intensively because we find what we need to find, I use it all the time for research papers and I also believe it’s a type of website or tool that we cannot stop using just like any other website or electronic.
In the article “Is Google Making Us Stupid?’ the author Nicholas Carr states that by searching in Google doesn’t help our brains we need to think strongly about that specific information. Brain scientists have exposed that when our minds are calm we think deeper. Google is a search engine that gives you about any information you may type in and not only one website many websites you can look at on that topic that you typed in. Since there is less concentration we find out less and retain information less.
I personally use Google everyday from looking up an address to a location, places to shop, or even to get information about a topic. I thought it was a very helpful search engine. Everything you can possibly imagine you can find on Google. I probably use it around 10 times a day just to look something up for me it’s kind of like YouTube. On YouTube you can type in how to do this to that and find a million results. Searching the web is very helpful. Like the author states it doesn’t make us more intelligent it just helps us get information because we are not using our brain to think deeply of information.
We cannot stop using the internet or any type of electronic device it is like our addiction. My I Phone is something I cannot live without. In the I phone there’s we have Facebook, text messaging, apps for games, even internet to search the web for example Google. My battery never lasts long because it’s something I ‘am very addicted to. However this can be a bad thing even though the web can be helpful but using my phone every minute of the day to play games or go on Facebook doesn’t leave me for anytime to do my important things from school work, to cleaning, spending time with friends family, and even doing what I love most is baking.
Therefore, Google is good to keep handy and look to search something up but doesn’t help you learn on your own. Besides only Google there’s other websites or things that take you away from reality which is a flaw for us.

1 comment:

  1. For me this was a bit difficult to the other ones. I found my self taking longer on this particular cat than i did on others.
    I have to work on re reading my work and making things more clear and my word choice.
    And on these difficult Cats I should spend more time thinking of my claims and starting off with an outline so everything can tie together

    ReplyDelete